A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921.
ORDER VII.—METAL WORKERS (NOT ELECTRO PLATE OR PRECIOUS METALS)
Sub-order 8.—Other Workers
254.—Press Workers and Stampers (not Hot or Hydraulic); Drawers (not Wire or Tube)
Back to List of Occupational Codes
- armature disc notcher and stamper
- a stamper q.v. who feeds various shapes of armature discs into automatic machine which stamps out notches; watches proper working of machine and places notched discs in a stack.
- beader (tin boxes, etc.)
- a press hand q.v. who places machine folded body of tin (see former, body) on block of beading machine and operates lever to form a beaded edge for seaming on top or bottom, etc., or as finish to top; removes box after the bead or rim has been formed.
- boot rivet maker
- see cutter, boot rivet.
- see seamer, double.
- brad maker
- a nail maker q.v. making brads, thin small nails of same thickness but tapering in width from head to point.
- butt cap maker (fishing rods)
- a draw brads, thin small nails of same thick-ends of fishing rod sections.
- calker maker
- see clog iron maker.
- cantle maker
- a drawer q.v. who presses out a metal beading called cantle, used for saddle edging, etc.
- cap maker (electric lamps)
- a draw press hand q.v. making brass caps for electric lamps in a die press.
- case maker (cartridges)
- a press hand q.v. operating a power press which stamps out metal cartridge cases.
- caulker maker
- see clog iron maker.
- a stamper q.v. operating a power machine which stamps out channel sections from strip metal; may alternatively roll strip between flange rollers.
- chipper (fish hooks)
- roughly forms points on fish hooks after they have been flattened, by holding under kick stamp.
- circle hand
- see cutter, circle.
- clock key maker
- a stamper q.v. operating a power machine which stamps out clock keys or their component parts.
- clog iron maker
; calker maker, caulker maker
- a stamper q.v. stamping out clog irons, by operating a power stamping press.
- coiner, coining press operator, coin maker
- see stamper, coin.
- cracker (pens)
- see piercer (pens).
- cresser (slang)
- see squabber (edge tools).
- cut nail and spring maker
- nail maker q.v. making cut nails and brads (sprigs) from sheet metal.
- operates a press stamping machine to cut out from sheet or strip metal or rod, special shapes required for making clog irons, button centres, metal bedstead laths, pens, etc., inserts sheet metal between guides and moves lever with hand or foot to apply power; sometimes specifically designated, e.g., bar and pen cutter, clog iron cutter, lath cutter, linen button cutter, sacking cutter (bedstead laths), shoe tip cutter, tea pot cutter-out.
- cutter, boot rivet
; boot rivet maker
- fixes cutting tools, dies, and gauges, and adjusts and repairs automatic rivet cutting machine; supervises efficient running; may also make necessary dies for use in machine, cf. die cutter (230).
- cutter, centre (pens)
- see piercer (pens).
- cutter, circle
; circle hand
- a cutter q.v. pressing out circular shapes from sheet metal for lids, trays, etc.
- cutter, nail
- see nail maker.
- cutter, nail blade
- a stamper q.v. who cuts out pen knife and pocket knife blades with an indentation for the finger nail; may also grind edge in grinding machine.
- cutter, shoe bill
; shoe bill maker
- a nail maker q.v. stamping out shoe bills, i.e. small brads used by shoemakers.
- cutter, sparrow bill
; sparrow bill maker
- a nail maker q.v. stamping out sparrow bilk, i.e., small brads used by hoot and shoe makers.
- see cutter.
- cutter-out (cutlery)
- cuts off by press or guillotine, fash or flanges left on blades after forging or stamping.
- cutter-out, section (machine knife)
- marks out steel sheets from templates; stamps, presses or files out. blanks of knives for agricultural cutting implements; cf. machine knife cutter-out (278).
- drawer (not wire or tube), draw press hand, draw press worker
- operates power press which draws not through dies, presses and cuts off brass or other metal tube to form cartridge cases, electric lamp caps and holders, gas burners, ferrules, etc.; inserts tube and moves lever with hand or foot to apply power; sometimes specifically designated, e.g., brass drawer, cartridge case drawer, envelope drawer (bullet), gas burner drawer, steel drawer, turbine blade drawer.
- a press hand q.v. operating a power press which produces a raised design or ornamentation on metal articles.
- a press hand q.v. who expands or increases internal measurement of sheet metal article or annular forging by placing it under machine press tool.
- eyelet maker
- a press hand q.v. who feeds and attends automatic machine making eyelets from sheet brass.
- eyer, eye maker (needles)
; puncher, eye puncher
- sets up, feeds and controls fly press which pierces eye holes in double needle blank; obsolescent, see stamper, needle.
- fancy tin worker
- a press hand q.v. who operates a power press which stamps and presses out articles of tin, e.g. toys or fancy cake tins, sold in small ware trades.
- a press hand q.v. who stamps a flange on edge of sheet metal, e.g., on body of tin box or canister for seaming.
- flyer, blade
- a fly press worker q.v. stamping out blades of cutting tools and cutlery from sheet steel.
- flyer (fishing tackle)
- a fly press worker q.v. stamping out metal parts of fishing tackle.
- flyer-out (cutlery)
- see fiver, blade.
- fIyer tube blocker
- a press hand q.v. who inserts lining or roving barrel into flyer and closes its hollow tubular arm or leg, by placing in a hand press.
- former, body
; box former
- a press hand q.v. who feeds and operates machine which rolls or presses bodies of tin boxes, canisters, etc., into required shapes; sometimes more specifically designated, e.g. automatic body former.
- former, box
- (i) see former, body;
- (ii) a press hand q.v. who feeds and operates a power press which stamps out seamless tin boxes, canisters, etc.
- former, brass former
- a press hand q.v. who operates a power press which forms from blanks, stamped or pressed brass metal parts, in readiness for further embossing, etc.; cf. brass former (247).
- frame maker (cycles)
- a press hand q.v. who presses out parts of cycle frame, e.g., hall head lug, fork crown, seat lug, bottom bracket, hack fork ends.
- gas burner reducer
- a drawer q.v. operating a power press which shapes reducing parts of gas burner.
- holer (metal washers)
- a stamper or fly press worker q.v. who cuts metal washers out of sheet metal.
- nook maker, hook and eye maker
- see stamper, hook and eye.
- kicker (die), die kicker
- see stamper, kick.
- lagrelle maker
- a press hand q.v. who makes lagrelle fasteners of steel for connecting ends of machine belting.
- lever worker
- a fly press worker or general press hand q.v. operating press by pulling lever.
- machine attendant, machine hand, machine minder, machine operator, machinist
- general terms for workers on power-driven presses and stamps; duties vary according to machine, but operations usually consist of placing sheet metal or partially formed sheet metal article against gauges in bed of machine and releasing press or stamp by means of hand lever or foot treadle; removes article by hand, if not automatically ejected by machine; does not usually set or adjust machine, which work is done by machine tool setter (211) q.v.; sometimes specifically designated, e.g. canister making machinist, chain making machinist (cycle), circular machine attendant, nail machine minder, capsule making machinist, safety pin machine hand.
- marker (pens)
- a stamper q.v. applying trade marks and other imprints to steel pens.
- medallist, medal striker
- as for stamper, coin.
- nail machine minder (stamped nails)
; nail maker, nailer
- (i) a cutter q.v. who feeds cut nail making machine with strip iron or steel;
- (ii) nail presser; a press hand q.v. who feeds machine press with sheet metal or wire; sometimes specifically designated, e.g. zinc nail machine minder.
- nail maker, nailer (stamped nails)
; nail cutter
- (i) sets up cut nail making machine, making necessary hand adjustments of cutting tools, feed mechanism, etc.; supervises working of machine, if automatic, and nail machine feeders (279) and minders q-v., if semi-automatic;
- (ii) see nail machine minder.
- a press hand q.v. who attaches necks to tin boxes, bottles, canisters, etc., by machine seaming, see seamer; cf. necker-in (262).
- notch maker (umbrella)
- a stamper q.v. who makes metal notch or disc into which ribs are fitted.
- see embosser.
- a press hand q.v. perforating metal rod, sheet, strip or articles.
- petrol can maker
- general term for press hands making petrol cans, including header, cutter-out, former, danger, seamer q.v.
- a stamper q.v. operating press stamp which pierces holes or holed design in metal, sometimes specifically designated, e.g., brass piercer, curry comb piercer, key piercer, sword hilt piercer.
- pierce (pens)
; centre cutter, cracker, side slitter
- a press hand q.v. operating a semi-automatic power press which pierces holes in pens and also cuts side slits.
- point splitter (pens)
- see slitter (pens).
- presser, presser-out, press hand, press operator, press worker
; machine presser (iron hollow-ware)
- general terms for workers operating hand or power machine which presses sheet metal, rod or wire into shape in metal dies; usually feeds metal sheet or pieces of metals, previously cut to shape (free cutter), under press between guides and applies power by pulling or kicking lever or by pressing treadle1; may simply feed automatic press by placing blanks in feed hopper or roll of sheet or strip metal on feed roller; removes pressed articles by hand, if these are not automatically ejected by machine; in some cases sets up machine with appropriate dies; sometimes specifically designated, e.g., buckle presser, carriage presser-out (textile), comb presser-out (textile), detonator presser, key presser, nail presser, sinker press hand, steam press worker.
- presser, machine (iron hollow-ware)
- see presser.
- presser, nail
- see nail machine minder.
- pressman, rim (motor)
- a press hand q.v. operating a power press to stamp out spoke holes on rim of wheel.
- press stamp worker
- a press hand q.v. operating a press stamp with cutting die which both cuts out of sheet and presses into shape in die.
- press worker, fly; hand press worker
- operates fly press for pressing or punching small metal articles; sets sheet metal between guides on bar of machine, pushes round with hand overhead flywheel or heavy ball on horizontal arm to cause cutting die to descent on metal; may pull string, or lever to operate press.
- press worker, power; power press hand
- a press hand q.v. operating a power press as distinct from a hand or fly press.
- puncher, eye puncher (needles)
- see eyer (needles).
- puncher, punch press worker
- as for stamper ; sometimes specifically designated, e.g., machine knife puncher, section puncher.
- puncher, spring
- a press hand q.v. who pierces and punches steel springs for rolling stock; cf. spring slotter (200).
- raiser, rounder (pens)
- a press hand q.v. feeding flat stamped blanks into a semi-automatic power press which gives them a rounded shape.
- seamer, seaming machine operator
- a press hand q.v. who places tin boxes and iron hollow-ware, which have been previously flanged (see flanger), on holder of power press and operates press to form seams.
- seamer, double
- a seamer q.v. who operates a seaming machine which makes a double turned seam for greater tightness.
- shaper (pens)
- a cutter q.v. making steel blanks from sheet metal.
- shell cupper
- see stamper, shell.
- shoe bill maker
- see cutter, shoe bill.
- slitter (pens)
; point splitter
- a press hand q.v. who slits points of steel pens with a fine precision press tool.
- slitter, side (pens)
- see piercer (pens).
- sparrow bill maker
- see cutter, sparrow bill.
- splitter (needles)
- splits heads of needles on kick stamp in process of making oalyx-eyed needles, a special kind of sewing machine needle with eye at top.
- spring case maker
- a press hand q.v. who presses out from sheet metal, spring cases for pistols, rifles, etc.
- squabber (edge tools)
; cresser (slang)
- a drop stamper q.v. who cresses or raises a rib on an edge tool, e.g., hoe.
- squarer (needles)
- a stamper q.v. who stamps round section wires to triangular section on power stamp for glove maker's or sail maker's needles.
- stamper (not hot or hydraulic), die stamper, metal stamper
; stamping press hand
- general terms for workers operating stamping machines, which cut out or press into shape, sheet metal, wire or rod, under a weighted cutting or shaping die which drops under gravity, or is thrust down sharply by power, as distinguished from the more slowly moving press; feeds sheet metal, etc., under stamp between guides and operates stamp by pressing foot treadle or pulling or kicking strap or lever; may also set up stamping machine by inserting appropriate cutting or shaping dies; sometimes specifically designated, e.g., buckle stamper, brass stamper, chair nail stamper, coin stamper, eye stamper (needles), ferrule stamper, gun metal stamper, hilt stamper, key stamper, needle stamper, odd stamper, split ring stamper, table blade stamper, zinc sash bar stamper.
- stamper, coin
; coiner, coining press operator, coin maker
- a stamper q.v. who stamps and presses coins, medallions, or badges between engraved dies in a power stamping press.
- stamper, drop
- a stamper q.v. operating a drop fl gravity stamp, as distinct from a machine in which the stamping die is thrust down by power, to stamp out dish covers, pan handles, ladles, etc.; cf. drop stamper (190).
- stamper, eye
- see stamper, needle.
- stamper, hook and eye
; hook maker, hook and eye maker
- feeds with wire and strip or sheet metal an automatic press stamp which makes hooks and eyes.
- stamper, kick
; die kicker, kicker
- a stamper q.v. operating a stamping machine by kicking a lever or pressing his foot .against a strap.
- stamper, needle
; eye stamper
- sets up, feeds and controls machine which automatically flattens out centre of wires (the length of two needles) and impresses two oval dents close together on both surfaces thus flattened, in preparation for eyeing, see eyer; or completely shapes head and eye of needle in one operation.
- stamper, shell
; shell cupper
- a stamper q.v. who shapes brass sheet blank into cup or basin in first operation of forming brass shell cases up to 6 inches.
- stamper and piercer, die stamper and piercer
- a stamper q.v. operating a stamping press in which the die both presses and pierces the metal, e.g., badges.
- stamping press hand
- see stamper.
- as for nail maker.
- tingle maker
- a nail maker q.v. who sets up and sometimes operates a power press which makes a cut nail called a tingle.
- toother, saw toother
- a press hand q.v. cutting out teeth from saw blanks; sometimes specifically designated, e.g. hack saw toother.
- turner over
- a press hand q.v. who turns over edge or flange, usually of blank of a metal article.
- watch key maker
- as for clock key maker.
Back to List of Occupational Codes
From: A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921
Ministry of Labour, 1927. Digitised by Peter Christian, August, 2016. This text is in the Public Domain.