A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921.
ORDER XII.—TEXTILE WORKERS
Sub-order 1.—Textile Workers
Back to List of Occupational Codes
- alabar loom worker
- as for weaver.
- band maker, bant maker
- minds a narrow, quick-speed loom for weaving band and webbing; for processes, cf. weaver.
- bit maker (carpets)
- a power loom weaver q.v. who minds a loom on which waste carpets, having no design, are woven, from bits of yam left over on spools, and unfit for use in carpets having a design; cf. bit maker (carpets) (367).
- braid speeder
- a weaver q.v. minding two, three, or four looms on which braid, and other similar narrow woven fabrics, are woven.
- corder, gold and/or silver
- a gold and/or silver weaver q.v. who weaves gold or silver cord.
- gimper, gimp maker, gimp spinner
- minds a machine making gimp, an ornamental banding, often with a wire or coarse cord running through it; places bobbins of yarn and of wire in correct sequence in frame, and guides and attaches yarn and wire to a feed which conducts them into machine; controls power-drive of machine; sometimes specifically designated, e.g. braid gimper.
- hair sieve maker
; hair sieve weaver
- a hair weaver (hand loom or power loom) q.v. weaving material for hair sieves.
- hanger maker, woven hanger maker
- a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves a narrow web, often having name of tailor inwoven, as an advertisement, intended to be used in making loops for hanging up coats.
- a spare weaver q.v. who goes from loom to loom helping other weavers in case of special difficulty; when engaged on Northrop looms, brings weft, fills batteries and doffs bobbins, cf. helper (399), tenter (weaving).
- jacquard frame tenter
- a tenter q.v. assisting jacquard weaver q.v.
- loom tender, loom tenter, power loom tenter
- (i) see tenter;
- (ii) see weaver, power loom.
- orris spinner, orris weaver (gold and/or silver)
- a gold and/or silver weaver q.v. weaving a special kind of gold or silver lace or braid called orris.
- rug maker
; rug weaver
- a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves rugs; sometimes works on a hand loom, see hand loom weaver; cf. rug maker (398).
- server (hair weaving)
- assists hair weaver q.v. by putting hair on to shuttle for drawing through warp.
- tenter (weaving)
; loom tender, loom tenter, power loom tenter, weaver's assistant, weaver's filler, weaver's helper, weaver's tenter
- assists weaver q.v. by cleaning looms and replacing empty weft bobbins with full ones; learns weaving.
- tinsel lace maker
- see weaver, gold and/or silver.
- warp loom knitter
- attends a horizontal knitting machine, i.e. warp loom, for knitting artificial silk scarves, etc., having all its threads on warp beam, and having no weft; guides thread ends through machine, starts-up machine and keeps it going, repairing broken threads when necessary; cf. warp loom knitter (398).
- weaver, loom weaver
- forms cloth or other textile material by interlacing, entwining, etc. a series of parallel threads, or warps, by a crossing thread or weft, which moves backwards and forwards across the warp threads on a loom, which may be either a hand loom or power-driven; see hand loom weaver, power loom weaver; often further distinguished according to material used e.g. alpaca, jute, asbestos weaver; or according to type of loom, e.g. box loom, dobby, Northrops weaver; or according to class of article produced e.g. braid, dress goods, blanket, hessian weaver.
- weaver, automatic loom
- a power loom weaver q.v. who minds a number of looms which replenish their own weft.
- weaver, carpet (hand loom)
- see weaver, hand loom (carpets).
- weaver, carriage trimming
- as for weaver, coach lace, except that trimmings are usually over 1½ inches wide.
- weaver, chenille setting
; setting weaver
- sets chenille fur into carpet on loom; lightly combs up each row of chenille fur, by hand, so that it beds up against previous row with which it must be matched.
- weaver, chenille weft
; weft weaver
- a power loom weaver q.v. who makes chenille fur to be used as weft (pile) for chenille carpets; works from a design-paper plotted into squares, showing order and colours of yarns; inserts, by hand, across loom, shuttle carrying required colour to match square or squares of design-paper; stops loom, changes shuttle, and restarts loom.
- weaver, coach lace
; pastings and taggings weaver
- a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves bands of trimming, usually under £ inch in width, for railway carriages, motor cars, and carriages, in silk, cotton, or worsted, using a small-wares loom with several shafts and a jacquard attachment.
- weaver, cocoa fibre mat; coir mat weaver
; mat weaver (cocoa fibre, coir)
- weaves coir mat fabric, usually on a hand loom.
- weaver, embroidery
- a hand or power loom weaver q.v. who minds a weaving loom on which ornamental fabric, ribbons, etc., are woven with a plain or coloured repetition pattern, to imitate hand embroidery.
- weaver, felt
- a power loom weaver q.v. who minds a loom, weaving felts for use in paper-making or other machinery; looms may be from ten to forty feet in width; cf. batter (378).
- weaver, gold and/or silver
- gold and/or silver lace or braid weaver; tinsel lace maker (i) a power loom weaver q.v. tending a machine in which gold, silver, or plated tinsel wire or thread is woven with cotton or silk to form braid, lace or cloth;
- (ii) a hand loom weaver q.v. working with gold, silver or plated tinsel thread or wire in shuttle to weave braid lace or cloth.
- weaver, hair; hair cloth weaver
- weaves hair cloth, having a warp of cotton or linen, and a weft of horse oar other hair; may be either a hand loom or a power loom weaver q.v.
- weaver, hair seating
- as for weaver, hair.
- weaver, hair sieve
- see hair sieve maker.
- weaver, halter
- a hand loom weaver q.v., who wreaves special webbing for halters or headstalls in one piece; cf. halter maker (398).
- weaver, hand loom
- stretches warp threads, in proper order, across a frame, which is then placed in loom; presses levers, usually worked by treadles, which cause certain warp threads to rise; pushes or jerks shuttle containing weft to and fro through openings or sheds thus made in warp; beats each row of welt close up against previous rows by pulling up sley and reed; winds cloth, as it is completed, on a beam roller.
- weaver, hand loom (carpets)
; carpet weaver (hand loom)
- stretches warp threads between two beam rollers; inserts and knots pile, according to pattern, tuft by tuft, round warp threads; inserts weft at intervals, varying with type of carpet; beats down weft and pile with large comb beater.
- weaver, harden; harding weaver
- a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves harden, a cloth woven from hards or tow yarn (re-spun flax or hemp waste).
- weaver, harness; harness loom weaver
- see weaver, jacquard.
- weaver, headstall
- as for weaver, halter.
- weaver, horse hair ; horse hair seating weaver
- as for weaver, hair.
- weaver, hose pipe
- a power loom weaver q.v. who minds a special loom for weaving canvas hose pipe.
- weaver, inkle
- a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves inkle, i.e. linen tape or braid.
- weaver, jacquard
; harness weaver, harness loom weaver
- a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves on a loom having a jacquard attachment, for figured or fancy fabrics.
- weaver, mat (cocoa fibre, coir)
- see weaver, cocoa fibre mat.
- weaver, pastings and taggings
- see weaver, coach lace.
- weaver, pattern
; range weaver
- a hand loom weaver q.v. who weaves patterns, lengths of cloth sufficient for a garment, sometimes to a special or new design; usually done on a hand loom even where similar material, in bulk, would only be woven on a power loom.
- weaver, power loom; power weaver
; loom tender, loom tenter, power loom tenter
- minds one or more power-driven weaving looms, which usually stop automatically when a thread breaks; starts loom by means of levers, and restarts it after stoppages; keeps weft shuttles and, on Brussels carpet looms, pile warp bobbins supplied with yarn; mends breakages to warp or to weft threads by twisting-in, and reports, to overlooker (weaving) (356) q.v., accidents to loom; watches pattern to see that weaving is proceeding correctly; sometimes also carries cloth, when completed, to warehouse.
- weaver, range
- see weaver, pattern.
- weaver, rug
- see rug maker.
- weaver, scroll
- a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves scroll trimming, a kind of gimp.
- weaver, setting
- see weaver, chenille setting.
- weaver, tassel
- (i) covers wooden tassel mould with threads of cotton, silk, etc., or with a tubular braid, using a weaving or plaiting machine; sets bobbins on spindles in machine; places moulds in holder; controls machine by levers;
- (ii) a power loom weaver q.v. who weaves material to be made up into tassel or ball fringe.
- weaver, tinsel
- a power loom weaver q.v. who minds a loom, or looms, weaving tinsel in form of braid.
- weaver, twill
- weaves twill carpets, a ribbed weave produced by weft passing over two or more warp threads at a time.
- weaver, weft
- see weaver, chenille weft.
- weaver's assistant, weaver's filler, weaver's helper, weaver's tenter
- see tenter.
Back to List of Occupational Codes
From: A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921
Ministry of Labour, 1927. Digitised by Peter Christian, August, 2016. This text is in the Public Domain.