A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921.
ORDER XIV.—MAKERS OF FOODS, DRINKS AND TOBACCO
Sub-order 1.—Makers of Foods
Back to List of Occupational Codes
- boiler, peel syrup
- runs water into steam-heated copper pans, and regulates temperature by means of steam valves; weighs out sugar, or receives it ready weighed; boils and re-boils it until sugar is completely dissolved and has become a syrup of required consistency for use in making candied peel.
- candied peel maker
- (i) see candier, peel;
- (ii) general term covering peel cooker, peel syrup boiler, and peel candier q.v.
- candier, peel
; candied peel maker
- receives peel from peel cooker q.v., puts it in tubs, and pours syrup, received from peel syrup boiler q.v., thereon; removes peel when it has absorbed enough syrup; lays it on trays to drain; puts it to dry in hot chamber, heat of which he regulates by means of steam valves and hot air doors; weighs out a specified quantity of dry sweetened peel and puts it in a steam-heated pan with a specified quantity of sugar and a little water; heats until sugar is melted, then pours peel into a receiving pan; grains peel, i.e. rubs it on side of pan so that added sugar on surface dries shiny and hard; where work is sub-divided, .supervises labourers engaged on various processes.
- cooker, peel
- receives peel from briner (449) q.v., puts it in steam-heated vats and regulates temperature by means of steam valves; runs water into vats; when peel is soft enough for next process, removes it from vats.
- fruit boiler
- see jam boiler ; cf. fruit boiler (flour confectionery) (449).
- fruit jelly maker
; jelly worker
- weighs fruit, and empties it into steam or gas-heated copper; runs a measured quantity of water into copper; 'boils them together, regulating heat by controlling steam valves, gas jets, etc.; allows liquor to flow away through bags to filter it; weighs liquor, adds sugar, and re-heats until correct consistency is obtained; .sometimes done by jam boiler q.v.; sometimes specifically designated, e.g. apple jelly maker.
- jam boiler
; fruit boiler, preserve maker
- weighs or measures out exact quantities of fruit, sugar, water and other ingredients (if any) according to recipe; pours ingredients, in correct sequence and at stated intervals, into steam or gas-heated coppers; usually attends from six to ten coppers and regulates heat by controlling steam valves, gas Jets, etc.; stirs contents of coppers, either by hand or by switching on mechanical stirrers; runs off jam, etc. into large receptacles, when correct consistency has been reached; sometimes also does work of fruit jelly maker q.v.
- jam maker
- general term covering workers engaged in jam making, including jam boiler, pan hand, jam filler (449) etc. q.v.
- jelly worker
- see fruit jelly maker.
- marmalade boiler, marmalade maker
- as for jam boiler; towards end of boiling process adds shredded peel of oranges or lemons which has been soaked.
- pan hand
- stirs mixture of fruit and sugar, intended for jam or marmalade, continuously whilst boiling; pours boiled jam into large receptacles from 'which jars are filled.
- preserve maker
- see jam boiler.
Back to List of Occupational Codes
From: A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921
Ministry of Labour, 1927. Digitised by Peter Christian, August, 2016. This text is in the Public Domain.