A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921.
ORDER V.—MAKERS OF BRICKS, POTTERY AND GLASS
Sub-order 1.—Makers of Bricks, Pottery and Earthenware
102.—Brick and Unglazed Tile-Makers, Moulders, Pressers, and Cutters
Back to List of Occupational Codes
- angle maker
- a moulded brick maker (q.v.) who specialises in making angle bricks.
- beats or hats bricks, partially dried on flats, with a tool called a clapper, as they are packed, in order to correct any warping which may have taken place during first drying; work generally done by moulder or brick-maker (q.v.); cf. hatter (119).
- block maker, fireclay block maker
; lump maker, slab maker
- makes large fireclay blocks used for furnaces, boilers, etc.; places a wetted wooden mould on sanded portion of drying floor; throws large masses of fireclay clod or pug with great force into mould; compresses clay as equally as possible by vigorous pommelling with fist and kneading with fingers, and removes excess of clay with stretched wire, or stroker, i.e. , a specially shaped stick.
- brick machinist
- see brick maker, machine.
- brick maker, chrome
- a brick maker (q.v.) who makes bricks from chrome iron ore, finely crushed and ground, and mixed with lime, tar, or other binding material, and water.
- brick maker, enamelled; glazed brick maker
- a brick maker (q.v.) who makes bricks of materials suitable for glazing with a mixture of felspathic glaze; may also dip bricks by hand in tank of glaze and place on pallet, usually done by dipper (107) (q.v.).
- brick maker, facing
- blue facing brick maker, red facing brick maker; a brick maker (q.v.) who makes, by hand, or presses and, if necessary, re-presses, in a machine, good colouring clay to form heavy, smooth-surfaced bricks of good colour, and accurate in size and form, for outer walls of buildings.
- brick maker (fire bricks, ganister, glazed firebricks, silica, steam)
- a hand brick maker (q.v.) who makes bricks of fire-clay, ganister, ‘silica, etc., by similar process.
- brick maker, hand
- general term for worker who makes bricks by hand; includes brick maker (slop), brick maker (sand-faced), brick maker (moulded) (q.v.); sometimes also does work of hatter (q.v.).
- brick maker, machine
; brick machinist
- (i) see presser, pressman;
- (ii) attends to grinding, mixing, pressing, rolling, shaping, or other machine used in brick making.
- brick maker, magnesite
- (i) (hand) makes bricks of burnt magnesite, with or without a bonding material, by processes similar to those for brick maker (hand) (q.v.); also makes magnesite brick tubes by hand, magnesite mixture being rammed into metal tubes, which are used for lining furnaces;
- (ii) (machine) a pressman or presser (q.v.) who attends to presses used in making magnesite bricks, for steel furnaces, etc.
- brick maker, mitred
- a brick maker (hand) (q.v.) who makes mitred bricks in a mould or press and cuts to special shape with a template.
- brick maker, moulded
- makes more elaborate and highly finished forms of hand-made bricks; throws a small ball of clay with great force into mould, and presses it well into corners with his fingers; repeats process until mould is full; scrapes off superfluous clay with a plane or stick, and turns out brick on to a pallet or rack for removal to drying chamber.
- brick maker, paving
- a moulded brick maker (q.v.) who specialises in making paving bricks.
- brick maker, pressed
; brick represser, re-presser
- a brick maker (machine) (q.v.) who operates hand or power-driven press to shape and compress clay into bricks, hollow faces of bricks, mark name of manufacturer, or to make denser and better finished bricks by repressing wire cut bricks made by brick-making machine.
- brick maker, sand faced; sand stock brick maker
; walk flatter
- sprinkles stock board or bed with sand; plunges mould into a sand bed so as to cover surfaces with sand and prevent sticking; places mould on bed; takes clot or prepared lump of clay, from attendant; throws it with force into mould; works it well into crevices with his fingers, and places mould on page, i.e. , tray, for removal to drying chamber.
- brick maker, slag
- a moulded brick maker (q.v.) who makes paving bricks of slag.
- brick maker, slop
- takes clay enough to make one brick; forms it into a solid lump or clot by rolling it by hand on a table; throws it with great force into wetted and sanded wooden mould; presses it well into crevices with his fingers; scrapes off superfluous clay with a stretched wire, or with a specially shaped stick called a stroker or with a flat wooden trowel called a plane; dusts with sand and turns out brick on to a pallet or rack for removal to drying chamber.
- brick maker, special
- a brick maker (q.v.) who makes special kinds of bricks, e.g. , angle bricks.
- brick maker, stable
- a moulded brick maker (q.v.) who makes bricks used for paving floor of stables.
- see brick maker, moulded.
- chimney pot maker, chimney top maker
- makes chimney pots, by pressing red or buff clay into a specially prepared wooden or plaster mould.
- clinker maker
- a brick maker (hand) or a brick maker (machine) who specialises in making bricks with a mixture of clay and ground clinker.
- crease maker
; ridge maker, ridge tile maker
- a tile-maker (q.v.) making tiles for ridges of roofs, sometimes called crease tiles.
- crest moulder
- a tile maker (q.v.) who specialises in making crested ridge tiles for roofing by pressing clay into moulds by hand.
- cutter, cutter-off
- operates with hand lever, a wire cutting frame, which shapes clay as it emerges on cutting table from brick-making machine of pug-mill type; sometimes also removes bricks to drying chamber.
- finial maker
- a tile maker (q.v.) who specialises in moulding finials, i.e. , ornamental roofing end-tiles by pressing clay into a mould with his hands.
- gas fuel maker, gas-fire fuel maker, gas-fire radiant maker
- makes gasfire fuel by pressing fine fireclay into specially prepared moulds with the hands or by using a hand screw press.
- hip and valley maker
- a tile maker (q.v.) who specialises in making hip and valley tiles, i.e. , roofing tiles, by pressing clay into a mould with his hands.
- lump maker
- see block maker.
- mitre maker
- a chimney pot maker (q.v.) who specialises in moulding mitres, i.e. , a form of chimney pot.
- see brick maker, hand.
- pantile maker
- a tile maker (q.v.) who specialises in making pantiles by moulding in flat state ready for stacking by horser (118) (q.v.).
- presser, pressman
; (q.v.) brick maker (machine)
- controls brick or tile press by levers; watches for faulty work; fits dies as required; may remove pressed bricks from machine, when these are not automatically conveyed to drying chamber, or tunnel.
- quarry tile maker, quarry maker
- a tile maker (q.v.) making flooring tiles, called quarry tiles, either by hand using a wooden mould, or by machine. .
- re-presser, brick re-presser
- see brick maker, pressed.
- ridge maker, ridge tile maker
- see crease maker.
- silica lump maker
- a block maker (q.v.) making lumps or blocks of silica used, instead of ordinary fireclay, for certain work owing to its extreme refractoriness.
- slab maker (for smelting furnaces)
- see block maker.
- stove back maker, gas stove back maker
- presses fireclay into specially shaped wooden moulds with his hands; shapes back by hand, using a wooden mallet, or operates a screw driven press which forces die down into box containing plastic clay.
- tile maker
- makes tiles, by hand or machine, by processes identical with those employed by brick-makers (q.v.), i.e. , hand, machine, moulded, pressed, save that greater care is needed on account of thinness of article; uses either plastic or non-plastic clays; sometimes specifically designated, e.g. , flue tile maker, paving tile maker, roofing tile maker.
- tile maker, clinker
- a tile maker (q.v.) who specialises in making tiles from a mixture of clay and ground clinker.
- tile maker, field
- a tile maker (q.v.) who specialises in moulding field tiles (small drain pipes) in a press, tile maker, steam; a tile maker (q.v.) who makes tiles of fire-clay to be used in sotting steam engines and boilers.
- tunnel oven part maker
- makes parts of tunnel ovens, i.e. , long ovens through which articles to be fired are slowly drawn, by pressing fireclay with the hands into specially prepared moulds; work similar to that of block maker (q.v.).
- walk flatter
- see brick maker, sand faced.
Back to List of Occupational Codes
From: A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921
Ministry of Labour, 1927. Digitised by Peter Christian, August, 2016. This text is in the Public Domain.